Greek Mountain Tea (tsai tou vounou) grows wild along the mountainous region of Lakonía, Greece, at elevations over 3,200 feet. This rare tea is historically known as “Shepherd’s Tea” because Greek shepherds would use the plants to make a brewed tea while tending to their flocks on the mountainsides. The tea is hand-picked from Mt. Taygetos in Lakonía, and has been a secret to good health and well-being for centuries amongst our ancestors.
The scientific name of this romantic looking perennial is sideritis syriaca (ironwort) and it is a member of the mint family. Lakonía Greek Products brings you this tea 100% organic and unrefined, without any added ingredients, colorings, or flavorings. Since the tea is in its natural state, it is packed with all of the oils, extracts, and antioxidants that most teas lose while being processed. The plant is harvested as it begins to bloom and has reached its peak oil content. Oil is responsible for the drink’s distinct flavor and proven medicinal value.
This tea has a sweet, floral and earthy taste with an aroma that is unforgettable. It is extremely popular in Greece because of its substantial health benefits, especially during the winter when colds, aches and pains increase. The health benefits of Greek Mountain Tea are acknowledged worldwide by doctors, scientists, and researchers. Recent studies indicate that it assists in the prevention of osteoporosis and even cancer. Research confirms that this tea has a positive effect on a myriad of different ailments including colds, fevers, respiratory problems, digestion problems, and anxiety. The tea is also traditionally used as an anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, antifungal and antimicrobial. Our Yiayia claimed the magical tea was a “cure all.”
To brew this tonic tea, break off about 6-8 pieces of the stalk (about two inches long, including the flowers, leaves, and stems) into a cup and a half of boiling water for about 5-10 minutes, and steep for no longer than ten. These measurements can vary, depending on strength preferred. Let simmer and enjoy the pleasant aroma. Strain into cup. You may also pour boiling water over the tea, and let steep for about 10-15 minutes. The tea can be reused because of its high potency.
You may add Lakonía Greek honey and fresh lemon slices to your liking. This is a very versatile tea, perfect for all occasions. It makes an ideal breakfast tea, as well as a soothing bedtime tea. On a hot day, serve over ice for a cold, refreshing treat. We also recommend serving this tasty tea with Lakonía Greek Kalamata Olives, feta cheese, and crusty bread.
No drug interactions, contraindications or side effects are known.
As soon as you start feeling sick, drink 2-3 cups a day to boost your immune system.
Additional Greek Mountain Tea Details
- Scientists and botanists believe that wild unrefined herbs are medicinally very pure and potent. Furthermore, being kept whole, they are less likely to lose their efficacy in comparison to refined and processed teas.
- Greek Mountain Teas have an edge: High altitudes tend to produce greater concentrations of nutrients and essential oils.
- Combining Chamomile is a nice compliment to this tea.
- Lighter and more soothing than Green Tea.
Summary of Common Uses and Health Benefits
- Antibacterial Characteristics
- Antifungal Characteristics
- Antimicrobial Characteristics
- Antioxidant Characteristics
- Analgesic (topical essential oil)
- Edema Care (inflammation-related)
- Fights Colds
- Helps Prevent/Cure Inflammation
- Immune System
- Improves Digestion
- Cholesterol Reducer
- Respiratory Health
- Tonic Characteristics
Exceptionally high iron content
- New studies show that it may aid in the prevention of breast cancer
- Over 60 components that have proven health benefits